Thursday 2 December 2010

Representation of Homosexuality in the Media

Hi Guys.

How do you guys think the media is representing homosexuality. Personally I think it's getting better but still has a bit to go. Many stereotypes that are still displayed in the media today are for example, Gay guys are apparently all very promiscuous, and many have solvent abuse issues and have trouble staying in a committed relationship. Another misconception is that gay guys are very effeminate however in the UK and possibly some other countries this is changing for example in Skins series 1 & 2 there was the gay character Maxxie Oliver played by the absolutely gorgeous Mitch Hewer he barely followed any stereotypes at all he was just one of the lads, another example of this is an Emerdale character Aaron Livesy played by Danny Miller he is not at all effeminate and he is a mechanic.

While doing a little research into this topic I came across a music video by Perez Hilton called the clap, while I did see the funny side to this video I also thought that it was exactly the kind of media attention that makes homosexuals look bad, I will embed this video at the bottom of this post.

What is it that causes bad representation, I believe that in many cases alot of the actors andscript writer's have no familiarity with gay people, they don't know any so they just make the character act according to the stereotype that other media programs have shown, obviously there are other reasons an I would love to hear your views so please comment or email: GYD@live.co.uk

Another thing I came accross was an interview with Darren Hayes from Savage Garden on his views about homosexuality in the media.

And here is the Perez Hilton video I mentioned

No comments:

Post a Comment